• Welcome to Aliquam!
  • Recruitment is currently opened!
  • You can apply down below, in the "Applications" board.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Paradoxes!
Thread Modes
Here you can post Paradoxes a situation or statement that seems impossible or is difficult to understand because it contains two opposite facts or or characteristics. According to the Cambridge online dictionary. Anyway
here is an example:

"this sentence is false"
Explanation: if the sentence is false that makes it true, witch in turn makes it false witch makes it true and so on.

so yes. Paradoxes!
If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty to do it. Why should everything  always be to the swift, or the jumble or the quick-witted? should they be allowed to win merrily because of the gifts god gave them? well i say "cheating is the gift man gives himself!"

I don't know if this counts as a paradox based on your definition, but here.

1 divided by half is 0.5. 0.5 divided in half is 0.25. 0.25/2 is 0.125 and so on. The numbers go on forever, but, if you think of it, it never goes below 0. A good example of this is Zeno's Paradox. Vsauce has a good video for better understanding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUnNaQTfZE

Let me try to make my own example. Imagine you're 100 meters from your friend. You walk half a 100 meters and stop, now you're 50 meters close to your friend. You walk 50/2 more meters. Now you're 25 meters close to your friend. Good job! Now keep dividing the meters left by half and walk, and you'll realize you'll never be 0 meters close to your friend. You'll never get to meet them.

No negative numbers. No zero.
Each block you place represents the drops of sweat you lost to build your masterpiece. -A snowman in Imagination City.

If being a hipster is mainstream, then how can you be a hipster if by being a hipster you are mainstream?

The Fermi Paradox:

If the world had been around for millions, billions and trillions of years...
WHERE ARE ALL THE ALIENS?

well there are several ideas and suggestions about this paradox, we havent figured it out yet

here's a short beginner's guide: *ahem*

the observable universe is about 90000000 lightyears apart, with around 100,000,000,000 galaxies each with 100,000,000,000 to 1,000,000,000,000 stars, and these stars have earth-like planets, we'll refer to this as 'habitable planets'

but for now lets talk about the milky way, which consists of up to 400,000,000,000 stars with about 20,000,000,000 sun-like stars in the milky way, and estimates suggest 1/5th of them have a habitable planet orbiting it.
if only 0.1% of those planets had life, then there would be 1,000,000 planets with life in the milky way

here's the thing: over the past 13 billion years the milky way "exploded" alot,

anyways lets get on with possible sollutions:

no.1 earth is the first habitable planet, and recently things have cooled down to allow complex life to exist

no.2 earth is NOT the first habitable planet, and complex life needs more thing to happen than we know

but none of these really makes sense since that there had been billions of years of which living things can grow
thats what makes

THE FERMI PARADOX

More info from Kurzgesagt

THE FERMI PARADOX part 1

THE FERMI PARADOX part 2

A quick one(ish)

My new year's resolution us to break my new year's resolution.
Baymax1020 Smile

If a time-traveler picks up the book Hamlet, and travels back in time to 1603 to give it to Shakespeare himself. Then Shakespeare takes the book and publishes the book under his name. Centuries later the time-traveler picks up the book from the store, and travels back in time..........

Who wrote the book Hamlet?
[Image: adcATCy.jpg]

That's interesting, Alphy. :o
Each block you place represents the drops of sweat you lost to build your masterpiece. -A snowman in Imagination City.

Am I Cool Now?
[Image: adcATCy.jpg]

If you travel back in time to kill your grandfather, it would then erase you from ever existing, so does that mean that it erases you from ever killing your grandfather, therefor would you not erase yourself in the first place?